Larry Joyner, CIC, AAI
Larry Joyner joined the Spartanburg Community to attend Wofford College, after graduating from A.C Flora High School in Columbia, SC. As a student at Wofford College, the city of Spartanburg quickly became a special community to him. Following his time at Wofford College, Larry spent a couple of years working in the Washington, D.C area and had the good fortune of marrying Leslie Williams, a Converse College graduate from Spartanburg, SC.
Larry returned to Spartanburg and continued his career with Covington, Williams, and Stewart Insurance. Larry had great mentors in the office, especially Harry Williams (father-in-law) and Grady Stewart. He’ll be forever grateful for the opportunities they gave him. In 1986, Larry, alongside several business partners, purchased what is now known as CWS Insurance Agency, Inc. They continued to build on the foundation of the previous business’s personalized management style and solid reputation in the community, establishing the cornerstones of what CWS Insurance is known for today. Larry currently serves as the President and Treasurer of CWS Insurance.
- Served on the S.C. Independent Agents and Brokers Board of Directors
- Named “Executive of the Year” by the S.A.I.P.
- Received the designations “Certified Insurance Counselor” (CIC) and “Accredited Advisor in Insurance” (AIA) after several series of national exams.
- Served on several insurance companies regional advisory panels.
- The agency has received the prestigious “Best Practices” Award a number of times. This award is a national recognition given to a relatively small number of agencies that are nominated.
- Deacon at First Presbyterian Church (Inactive)
- Former President and Lifetime Board member of The Terrier Club at Wofford College
- Alumni of Leadership Spartanburg
- Former Board member of: Spartanburg Area Conservancy (Space); Oakwood Cemetery Perpetual Care Assoc.; Spartanburg Little Theatre; Country Club of Spartanburg
Steve Williams was born and raised in the Spartanburg community. After graduating from Spartanburg High School, he attended Mercer University in Macon, GA, followed by Wofford College, where he graduated in 1980. Upon graduation, Steve began working at CWS Insurance, where he has spent the entirety of his career. Steve currently serves as Vice President of CWS Insurance.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of the Upstate
- Wofford Terrier Club
- American Cancer Association
- Spartanburg Humane Society
- Active member of St. Matthews Episcopal Church
Arthur Yex was born in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, moving to Spartanburg with his family in 1967. Arthur graduated from Spartanburg High School earning a football scholarship to attend Wofford College. Arthur graduated in 1984 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. After working with Allstate Insurance as a Claims Adjuster, Arthur joined the CWS Insurance team in 1986. Arthur currently serves as Vice President of CWS Insurance.
- Licensed as an Agent, Broker, and Adjuster
- Former President of the Independent Insurance Agents Association of Spartanburg
- Named the Insurance Executive of the Year for the 1994 – 1995 term
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Rotary Club of Spartanburg; Active Member of the Rotary Club of Spartanburg
- Former President and Board Member of the Spartanburg YMCA
- Easter Seals Board Member
- Wofford College Terrier Club Board member
- Spartanburg Touchdown Club Board Member
- Active member of Spartanburg High School Booster Club
- Volunteer with Mobile Meals for over 25 years
Nate Toms, AIC,CIC,CPCU
Nate Toms considers himself a Spartanburg Native, moving to the city with his family in 1974. Nate graduated from Spartanburg High School and continued his education at Clemson University, graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics with a minor in Finance. After graduating, Nate worked as a Claims Adjuster for the S.C. Farm Bureau as well as Nationwide Insurance Company, before joining the CWS Insurance Agency in 1996. Nate currently serves as Vice President of CWS Insurance.
- Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Designation
- Associate in Claims (AIC) Designation
- The Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriting (CPCU) Designation
- Former President of the Independent Insurance Agents Association of Spartanburg County
- Named the Insurance Executive of the Year for the 2003 – 2004 term
- Church Basketball League Coach
- Member of the Spartan High Booster Club (Inactive)
- Member of the Spartan West Rotary Club (Inactive)
- Alumni of Leadership Spartanburg
- Board of Directors for the Spartanburg Soup Kitchen (Active)
Rae Whisenant graduated from Clemson University in 1986 with a degree in Business Administration. Upon graduating, Rae joined the CWS Insurance team as a Personal Lines Customer Service Representative. Rae developed her expertise in the insurance field and continued her career with the CWS Insurance Sales Team in 1990. Rae currently serves as Vice President of CWS Insurance.
- Board Member of Meals on Wheels of Cherokee County
- Board Member of Cherokee County Community Foundation
- Volunteer Math Tutor
- Active member and position holder at Church
Wade Hardin is a native of Blacksburg, SC. After graduating from Limestone College in Gaffney, SC, Wade moved to Greenville, SC to work in sales at a large equipment dealer. In 2003, he returned to Cherokee County and joined the CWS Insurance Sales Team. Wade currently serves as a Managing Partner of CWS Insurance.
- Licensed in Property and Casualty Insurance
- Licensed in Life Insurance
- Former President and Board Member of the Independent Insurance Agents of Spartanburg County
- Active Member of Grassy Pond Baptist Church
- Former President and Board Member of the Limestone College Athletic Booster Club
- Former Secretary and Board Member of Cherokee National Golf and Recreation Association
- Current Member of the Cherokee Civic Club
- Current Member of the Cherokee Palmetto Club
Robert Hammett, AIP
Robert Hammett is a lifelong resident of Spartanburg County. He graduated from Spartanburg High School and continued his education at Wofford College. After graduating from Wofford, Robert joined CWS Insurance in 2004. Robert currently serves as a Managing Partner at CWS Insurance.
- Named Executive of the Year for 2007 and 2016 Terms
- Alumni of the Spartanburg Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Spartanburg Program
- Founding Member of Spartanburg Young Professionals
- Former President and Vice President of the Independent Insurance Agents Association of Spartanburg County
- Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Designation
- Named Young Agent of the Year for the State of South Carolina in 2013
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of South Carolina in Columbia, S.C
- Serves on Liberty Mutual’s Agent Advisory Council
- Former Deacon of First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg
- Youth Basketball Coach
Daniel Cleveland was born and raised in Spartanburg County. After graduating from Byrnes High School he attended Presbyerian College before transferring to Clemson University. Daniel graduated from Clemson University in 2014 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematical Science with an emphasis in Actuarial Science and a Minor in Education. After graduating from Clemson, Daniel worked as a claims adjuster for Auto-Owners Insurance Company before joining the CWS Insurance team in May of 2019. Daniel currently serves as an Account Executive at CWS Insurance.
- Former President and Vice President of the Piedmont Claims Association
- Currently holds his Producer License as well as an active Adjusters License
- Active member of Anderson Mill Baptist Church
- Serves as a Captain of the Anderson Mill Baptist Church Parking Team
- Allied Member of the Restaurant and Lodging Association of South Carolina